DevelopmentWA is seeking to develop the Kemerton Strategic Industrial Area (KSIA) for the purpose of industrial and infrastructure development as a strategic proposal. The KSIA is located within the Shire of Harvey, 17 kilometres north of Bunbury.
The KSIA key characteristics are:
- Development of the Kemerton Strategic industry Zone (Industry Core) which is approximately 2,024 hectares (ha).
- There is an approximate 50-year time period for development.
- Ultimate land use proposed is to be heavy industrial, with other land uses such as raw materials extraction, plantations, or other rural activities to be undertaken in the interim.
- Protection of the Kemerton Industry Buffer Zone (approximately 5,200 ha) is proposed, with the majority to be managed by the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions in the future. Some of the Buffer Zone may remain in private ownership.
A range of land uses and landowners currently exists within the KSIA. Some current land uses will continue, with the potential for the following future activities:
- basic raw materials extraction/mining
- noxious/heavy industry
- light and general industry
- renewable energy developments