Hamersley HMS Pty Limited (the proponent) proposes to develop two new above water table (AWT) iron ore mine pits at the Hope Downs 2 proposal, located approximately 80 km north-west of the township of Newman in the Pilbara Region of Western Australia.
The proposal includes a conceptual footprint of approximately 4,700 hectares (ha) to support the development, operation and closure of two new AWT iron ore deposits within a proposed Development Envelope of approximately 14,085 ha.
The key components of the proposal include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Development and operation of AWT iron ore deposits: Hope Downs 2; and Bedded Hilltop.
- Mineral waste management infrastructure including waste rock landforms, landbridges, low grade ore dumps and topsoil and sub-soil stockpiles.
- Processing infrastructure including dry processing facilities at Hope Downs 2 and/or Bedded Hilltop deposits.
- Support facilities including workshops, hydrocarbon storage areas, ANFO facilities, laydown areas, turkeys nests, transfer pads and offices.
- Linear infrastructure including heavy and light vehicle access roads, railway crossing, conveyors, pipelines, power distribution network (including sub-stations), communications distribution network and associated communications infrastructure.
- Realignment of approximately 6 km of the Great Northern Highway.
- Infrastructure for surface water management including Pebble Mouse Creek crossings, diversion drains, levees and culverts.
- Infrastructure for water supply including abstraction of groundwater and/or use of surplus water from local sources and adjacent operations.
- Accommodation including installation of a new construction camp may be required to support the implementation of the Hope Down 2 proposal