FI Joint Venture Pty Ltd is proposing to construct and operate a magnetite iron ore project, with mining, processing and associated infrastructure. The proposed mine is located approximately 225 kilometres (km) east-northeast of Geraldton and 15 km northeast of Yalgoo within the Shire of Yalgoo.
The proposal includes a magnetite slurry pipeline and a water pipeline to Geraldton Port and a gas supply pipeline from the Dampier to Bunbury Natural Gas Pipeline network.
Mining of the magnetite will occur below groundwater and will include a simple open cut operation with clearing and topsoil stockpiling, overburden drilling and blasting followed by conventional removal with truck.
The proposal includes the following key components:
- Mine pit (clearing of no more than 200 ha);
- Mining overburden and waste facilities (clearing of no more than 400 ha);
- Processing waste containment facilities (clearing of no more than 500 ha);
- Mine and processing support infrastructure (clearing of no more than 2000ha); and
- Magnetite slurry pipeline, water pipeline and gas pipeline (clearing of no more than 1500 ha).