The Proposal is located 210 km south of Port Hedland and 180 km north west of Newman in the Pilbara region of Western Australia. The proposal is located within a 40,653 ha Development Envelope and will require clearing of no more than 9,628 ha of native vegetation.
The proposal includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- The development of a series of above and below water table mine pits;
- Ore processing facility;
- Groundwater abstraction for water supply (for the mine and all associated infrastructure) and for the dewatering to facilitate the recovery of ore below water table in the mine pits;
- Surplus water management with discharge of excess water either via limited direct disposal to the environment (into existing creeklines) and injection via managed aquifer reinjection (MAR);
- Mineral waste management (waste rock dumps, and tailings storage facilities (TSFs);
- Infrastructure to manage surface water (diversion of creeks and surface water flows);
- Linear infrastructure (haul roads, powerlines, pipelines and conveyor corridors);
- Mine associated infrastructure and support facilities (including, but not limited to accommodation camp, energy supply infrastructure, airstrip; wastewater treatment plant (WWTP); landfill, offices, workshops, laydown areas, etc.); and
- Transport of the ore via the Great Northern Highway to Port Hedland for export. Future transport options (e.g. rail) will be subject to a separate approvals process.
Facilities will be developed to support production of up to 20 million tonnes of ore per annum (Mtpa) over a minimum 30-year period. The proposal is located within an area of existing pastoral and mining land use